Can Dog Eat Grapes? The short answer is No
Grapes are anything but natural for the canine diet, which primarily consists of high-protein meats. So there aren’t many benefits of adding grapes to a dog’s diet.
Grapes provide humans with Vitamin C and antioxidants, which are good for you. But is it also good for the dog? Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Are grapes bad for dogs? Can I give it to him or is it toxic? If you have ever asked yourself at least one of these questions then you are in the ideal place; in this article, we will find out if the dog can eat grapes.
Can I give grapes to the dog?
As per the Dog food company, Purina suggested grapes be avoided absolutely, grapes are bad for dogs!
Grapes contain particular substances that are toxic and harmful to the dog, excessive consumption can lead to kidney failure. This toxicity has been identified in all types of grapes present in the supermarket but also just grown in the garden: the fact that it is white or red does not change its danger.
Not only does excessive consumption create problems, but even small amounts of grapes can cause various ailments to your trusted friend; small dogs are generally more at risk of poisoning.
So let’s see what are the symptoms that can be encountered in case of ingestion of this food.
Signs of grape poisoning in dogs
If the dog ingests grapes, he may exhibit several symptoms, including:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Tender abdomen
- Increased thirst
- Diminished or lost appetite
- Lethargy and weakness
- Increased urine production or decrease in urine quantity
In the most serious cases, however, the symptoms can come with:
- absence of urination;
- kidney failure.
If you experience any symptoms after ingesting grapes, contact your veterinarian before the problem can escalate; in fact, in very serious cases the ingestion of this food can also lead to the death of the pet.
Are Raisins bad for dogs?
Even dried raisins should not be given to the dog at all, it is also harmful and harmful to the health of your trusted friend. In fact, according to various studies conducted, the dangerous substance is found in the skin and pulp, a characteristic that therefore makes raisins as risky as fresh grapes.
How many grapes are bad for my dog?
Not yet knowing the mechanism by which grapes are toxic, it is not possible to find out exactly how many berries are harmful. Dog size, breed, and age are other factors that influence this.
In general, an approximate line of toxicity has been drawn up: for grapes the danger occurs after about one or two berries in small dogs, for larger ones we speak of three or four; as far as raisins are concerned, 20 grams are already toxic for a small dog, while 40 grams are enough for large ones.
All this is only a general table to which you can refer, in any case, it is always better to avoid offering grapes to the dog, to exclude any kind of related problem.
How can I stop my dog from eating grapes?
Since grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas are extremely unpredictable. The best way to keep your dog safe is to keep him from getting hold of it.
Make sure everyone in the house is aware that they never give grapes to the dog. You should actively keep anything toxic away from your dog.
Shut your dog outside during snack time if children are prone to drop raisins. You should also be wary of cereals, such as granola, and baked goods including pancakes, hot scones, and Christmas cakes.
My Dog Ate a Grape! What should I do?
Unfortunately, because grapes are so unpredictable, your dog needs to see a vet for immediate treatment.
Don’t wait until they show symptoms like eating weed, vomiting, etc. By then the damage will have been done and it may be too late to do anything but supportive care. Here are our step-by-step instructions on what to do if your dog eats a grape.
1. Make Sure Your Dog Can’t Eat Anymore
Like Chicken bones, soap, or any potentially dangerous object or food, you need to limit your exposure immediately.
This usually means locking your dog in a room so he can’t have access to more grapes or clear any spills. Don’t forget the other pets in the house too! Get them out of the way and find out (if possible) exactly how much grapes your dog consumed.
2. Call Your Vet Immediately
Although some toxins need you to see how much they have eaten and how they are feeling, with ingesting grapes it is best to call your vet right away. If your vet is not open, you need to call the nearest open vet clinic, which may be an emergency clinic. If you’re in the US, you may also be able to call the Pet Poison Helpline for advice.
3. Follow Your Vet’s Instructions
Your vet is the best person to advise you on what to do next. Since grape poisoning is so unpredictable, they will probably suggest that you go for a visit to begin treatment.
This usually involves making the dog sick, giving drugs to block the absorption of toxins, and taking a basic blood sample so that it is clear if there is a problem at a later time.
Current advice suggests dogs are hospitalized for up to 72 hours after eating grapes or raisins, but your vet will discuss this with you so you can make an informed decision.
4. Don’t Treat Your Dog Alone
You may be tempted to try to treat your dog at home. This is not recommended. Trust your vet to give you the best advice in your situation. It’s possible your dog doesn’t have a life-threatening reaction, but you don’t want to risk it with self-treatment.
There are some frequently asked questions about eating canine grapes. We’ve answered in advance below, in case it’s still unclear about your next course of action (which should be to call your vet !).
Q1. Should I make my dog vomit?
Ans. 1 – If your dog eats grapes or raisins, you should call your vet or pet poison helpline for advice. They may ask you to make your dog sick at home and give you the drug combinations they would like you to use.
Alternatively, they may recommend a visit for more aggressive therapy. Getting your dog sick at home is not without risk as your dog may inhale the vomit.
Also, if that doesn’t work, it limits your vet’s options, which means your dog will be in a worse situation. `Your vet will weigh these risks when you call him for advice and determine the best course of action. It is never a good idea to get your dog sick without talking to a professional first, even if you have been told to do so in the past.
Q2. What Happens When Dogs Eat Grapes?
Ans 2. Grapes cause acute kidney failure in dogs. The toxins in grapes appear to attack part of the canine kidney.
While it appears that the kidney can often recover from this damage, dogs will need extreme supportive care until it does.
The first and most common symptom of grape poisoning is vomiting. Follows diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and instability.
When the kidneys are affected, dogs can stop urinating which is a very bad sign.
Q3. When do symptoms occur?
Ans 3. -The first symptoms of grape poisoning usually occur within 24 hours. Signs of kidney failure on blood tests begin to show after 24 to 48 hours. If a dog has had no symptoms within 72 hours, they are likely to make a full recovery. A blood test at this point can show if further treatment is needed.
Q4. Will my dog be okay?
Ans 4. – When grape poisoning was first discovered, only about 50% of dogs survived once they started showing signs of kidney problems.
With modern medicine and increased awareness leading to faster intervention, this has improved.
Thankfully it is now much rarer for a dog to die from eating grapes, as long as he receives appropriate treatment. Current recommendations are that dogs should be forced to vomit.
They should then receive activated carbon. Once completed, they should be hospitalized for 72 hours for fluids.
We know that not all dogs will be poisoned by grapes and many will be fine without treatment. However, until we know more about why some d
Q 5. Can a dog eat a single grape?
Ans 5. Grapes are toxic for some dogs so they better be avoided.
Q 6. How soon will a dog get sick after eating grapes?
Ans 6. It will take 24 to 48 hours to show the symptoms to your dogs.
Q 7. Do all dogs get sick from grapes?
Ans 7. It depends from dog to dog time a single grapes become toxic for a dog and sometimes the dog eats a dozen and nothing happens but better to avoid this situation
Q 8. What Fruits Can Dogs Eat?
Ans 8. – Many other types of fruit are ideal and beneficial to the consumption of your four-legged friend, always remember not to overdo the doses; so let’s see some types of fruit to offer to the dog instead of grapes :
- Macadamia nuts
- Foods with xylitol in them
Q 9. What Other Foods Are Toxic to Dogs?
- Apples (not the seeds)
A tiny grape may seem harmless. Especially if you have a large dog. Unfortunately, even this small amount can damage a dog’s kidneys. While many dogs will be fine, there is no way of knowing if your dog will be fine or if he will be severely affected.
The only surefire way to make sure your puppy gets the attention he needs right away is to contact your vet right away for advice. This is the best thing you can do and it should be the second thing that happens immediately after you remove the grapes from your puppy’s reach.
Read more helpful articles:-
Friends, I hope You must have liked the blog “Can Dog Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Bad for dogs 2022 Guide“
If you have any feedback, then definitely tell us by going to Contact Us, you can email me or follow me on social media Will see you soon with a new blog, till then stay tuned to my blog “Thanks